Certificate of Need

Your Question

Do I need a Certificate of Need for a home based personal care home?


This answer is for informational purposes and not intended to be legal advice. Please contact your attorney for more information.

A certificate of need or CON is required for certain situations in the health care industry. Before you erect, expand or acquire a building, this document can be required.  Sometimes, both Federal and state agencies can have CON requirements. The requirements can overlap or be completely different.

In Georgia if you have a home that is under 24 people, you don’t need this document (see application check list). Check with your state government or state department of health to determine if this document is needed before you can open.


Georgia Personal Care home http://dch.georgia.gov/personal-care-homes